2017 Yamaha VF250 V MAX SHO® - 20 in. Shaft
Call for Price
For Those Ready for a Whole New Game.
For years, tournament anglers championed the two stroke, sacrificing fuel economy and power for performance. That is, until Yamaha unleashed the world’s first 4.2L Super High Output four stroke outboard. The four stroke V MAX SHO® offers all the advantages of a two stroke in a clean burning, fuel efficient four stroke. It’s a level of performance that pro anglers have always wanted on the tournament circuit. And it’s officially put two strokes on notice.
A MotorBoating Best Of in 2009 and 2010, the Four Stroke V MAX SHO® features:
Lightning-Fast Hole Shot: The V MAX SHO® has a 4.2L big-bore design that shoots it out of the hole up to 13% faster than its two stroke competitors. Its variable camshaft timing increases throttle response in the low and midranges, resulting in unbelievable acceleration, top-end and midrange punch.
Brute Strength: Its 4.2L big-bore design gives the V MAX SHO® class-leading displacement and power-to-weight ratio.
Smart Innovations: Micro-textured cylinder walls and a new intake system greatly improve fuel economy. In fact the V MAX SHO® boasts up to 12% better fuel economy than competitive two strokes, and is C.A.R.B. 3-Star Rated for Ultra Low Emissions
Lightweight Design: Yamaha engineers redesigned the cowling, engine bracket and lower engine pan, shaving every ounce of weight, without compromising durability. As a result, the V MAX SHO® is just 505 pounds (dry weight)—a good 34 pounds lighter than previous two stroke V MAX designs.
- Cleaner Fuel: All V MAX SHO® outboards utilize a large, on-engine water separating fuel filter with a water sensor. Used in conjunction with Yamaha’s 10-Micron Water Separating Fuel Filter, it helps separate water and contaminants from the fuel before they can reach the outboard’s other filters and fuel injectors.
- Outstanding Fuel Economy: The 4.2 liter big-bore V MAX SHO® four stroke outboard averages 12% better fuel economy throughout the RPM range than our venerable 3.3 liter direct-injected 250HP V MAX Series 2 two stroke. All air entering the engine block of the V MAX SHO® is routed through a single 75mm electronically controlled throttle valve. Working in concert with the Precision Multi-Point Fuel Injection System, they help ensure the precise amount of air and fuel necessary for optimum power and fuel efficiency. The reduction in friction from the Micro-Textured Cylinder Walls further adds to this outboard’s amazing fuel economy.
- Low and Midrange Throttle Response: Yamaha’s Variable Camshaft Timing system advances and retards the position of the intake camshaft to dramatically increase power and throttle response in the low- and mid-rpm ranges. This feature helps Yamaha’s new 4.2 liter big-bore V MAX SHO® four stroke provide awesome hole shot and mid-range acceleration you have to feel to believe.
- 4.2 Liter Big-Bore Displacement: By using a highly advanced thermally applied plasma fusion process on the cylinder walls, the V MAX SHO® has no conventional steel cylinder sleeves, yet the cylinder walls are 60% harder than steel. That means larger cylinder bores for increased displacement, resulting in more power and torque, without increasing outer cylinder dimensions. It also results in dramatically lighter weight, better cooling, and the “micro-textured” cylinder walls help reduce friction, further increasing performance and enhancing reliability.
- Responsive Power: 4.2 liters of class-leading displacement teams with individual intake and exhaust camshafts to provide more precise valve timing control with fewer moving parts than conventional rocker arm systems for increased reliability. This superior design also allows for use of 4 valves per cylinder which exchange intake and exhaust gases more efficiently for responsive power and increased fuel economy. Intake valves are 14% larger and exhaust valves are 10% larger than our 3.3L DOHC system.
- Smart Design: Yamaha’s exclusive In-Bank™ Exhaust System exits downward through the center of the engine between the “V” of the cylinders, rather than on the exterior side. This increases combustion efficiency for more power and torque, and also provides for a more compact shape.
- Smooth and Quiet: Engine exhaust is routed through a maze before exiting above the waterline through the idle exhaust relief outlet, for unbelievably smooth and quiet operation. A mufflerless design creates a more direct exhaust flow and a pleasing sound of power at idle.
- Super High Output 60° V6 Design
- Mechanically Controlled Four Stroke V6 Outboard
- Plasma-Fused Sleeveless Cylinders
- Variable Comshaft Timing
- Long Track Induction System
- Electronic Multi-Point Precision Fuel Injection
- Ignition Knock Sensor
- 4 Large Radius Valves Per Cylinder
- High Intake Valve Lift
- Double Overhead Camshafts
- In-Bank™ Exhaust
- Exhaust Pressure Reduction System
- Compact, Lightweight Design
- TCI Microcomputer
- Electronic Single Throttle Valve (75mm)
- Direct Drive System
- Wet Sump Lubrication
- Engine Warning System
- Sacrificial Anodes
- Water Cooled Rectifier/Regulator
- Water Separator
- Direct Ignition
- YDC-30 Aluminum Alloy
- Phaze Five™ Paint System
- Top Mounted Electrical
- High Output Alternator
- SST Drive, Prop, Shift Shafts
- SST Steering Tube
- Magnetic Drain Plug
- Oversized Water Intake Screens
- Water Draining Air Intake Duct
- Command Link® System: Optional
- Power Trim and Tilt
- Freshwater Flush
- Easy Maintenance
- Yamaha Diagnostic System
- Single Timing Belt System
- Engine Type: V6 (60º)
- Displacement: 4.2L (254 ci)
- Bore x Stroke: 96 x 96mm (3.78 x 3.78 in.)
- Prop Shaft Horsepower: 250hp at 5500 rpm (VF250LA)
- Compression Ratio: 10.3:1
- Fuel Induction: DOHC Fuel Injection VCT
- Exhaust: Through Propeller
- Intake: Single Throttle Valve
- Ignition: TCI Micro Computer
- Spark Plug: LFR6A-11-00-000
- Alternator Output: 50 Amp (46 AMP @ 1000rpm)
- Starting System: Electric w/PTT
- Lubrication: Wet Sump
- Engine Oil Capacity: 6.7L (7.1 qt.) with filter
- Full Throttle RPM Range: 5000 ~ 6000 rpm
- Cooling: Water/Thermostatic Control
- Recommended Engine Oil: Yamalube® 4M (See owner's manual)
- Recommended Fuel: Regular Unleaded (Minimum Pump Octane 89)
- Recommended Fuel Filtration: Yamaha 10-Micron Fuel/Water Separating Filter
- Ethanol Blend Limit: 10% Maximum
- Gear Ratio: (21:12) 1.75:1
- Gear Shift: Forward, Neutral, Reverse
- Shaft Length: L = 20 in.
- Degree of Tilt: 66 deg.
- Degree of Trim: -4 deg. through +16 deg.
- C.A.R.B. Rating: 3-Star
- Dry Weight: 505 lb. (229 kg)
- Mounting Centers: 28.6 in.
- Steering Angle (maximum): 35 deg. from center, either direction
- Warranty: 3-year Pleasure, 3-year Government, 1-Year Commercial
- Engine Type
- V6 (60 deg.)
- Bore x Stroke
- 3.78 x 3.78 in. (96 x 96mm)
- 4.2L (254 ci)
- Electric w/PTT
- Shaft Length
- 20 in.
- 505 lb. (229 kg)
- Propshaft Horsepower
- 250hp at 5500 rpm (VF250LA)
- Full Throttle Operating Range
- 5000 ~ 6000 rpm
- Gear Ratio / Shift
- (21:12) 1.75:1 / Forward, Neutral, Reverse
- Fuel Induction
- DOHC Fuel Injection VCT
- 50 Amp (46 Amp @ 1000 rpm)
- Water/Thermostatic Control
- 3-year Pleasure, 3-year Government, 1-Year Commercial